Sunday, May 20, 2012

Dear Mom

Brace yourselves, everyone - Dad is stepping into the blog fray. So I realize we're a week removed from Mother's Day, but it's never too late for moms to get a shout-out. And while you've seen our daughter through the eyes of her mom, it's time to see Mom through the eyes of our daughter. Here goes:

Dear Mom

So Dad and I were talking the other day – ok, I wasn’t talking – but he was telling me about this whole Mother’s Day thing and I stared and drooled intently. It sounded pretty cool and I was thinking about how I could celebrate. I know I’ve only been on this Earth for six little months, but I can already tell I’m the luckiest girl in the world to have a mom like you. Unfortunately I can’t tell you happy Mother’s Day (hopefully next year!); my motor skills aren’t quite there yet to make you a card; I’m still trying to figure out this whole “kissing thing;” and I can’t buy you flowers because Dad says I’m too young to have a credit card.

So I decided on the next best thing – have Dad help me tell you how much I love you. Yeah, I can’t talk yet, but I did my best to articulate to him (he really gets me) ten reasons why I think you’re the awesomest mom I’ve ever had:

10 – The way you sing to me every day (and sometimes you even do it in this funny Kosraean language!).

9 – For keeping this really cool blog thing so that when I grow up and don’t remember these first few years, I can look back and learn about all the cool stuff I’ve done.

8 – Two words: BABY YOGA (I mean, have you seen my downward dog?!)

7 – While there’s no substitute for those 4 am breast milk cravings, you spend lots of time making these other really great foods for me to eat like sweet potatoes, bananas, carrots, and avocados. And thanks for continuing to make me eat peas even though my palate isn’t refined enough yet to appreciate them.

6 – On those days when I’m not feeling too good, there’s no one else who makes me feel better.

5 – Some mornings I sit up in my crib – lately I’ve even tried standing in it (hee, hee) – and I look around and think, “Wow, my mommy designed the coolest room a kid could ever ask for.”

4 – Even though I’d still rather eat them, you keep reading me these great books, which is making my brain grow (but seriously, I don’t know how you and dad resist, some of them are just so tasty!).

3 – On those nights when dad is watching too much sports (he keeps trying to tell me that’s not possible) or checking that blackberry thingy (which is also really yummy, I might add), you remind him that, “hey, these moments are precious. What’s a girl gotta do to get a little love and attention up in here?”

2 – Even when I’ve been the fussiest of fussy pants and you’re so bleary-eyed you can barely function, you always have the happiest smile waiting for me.

1 – Knowing that no matter what, you’ll always be my mom.

Love,
Adelaide

1 comment:

  1. You guys, this seriously made me get all choked up! (Pregnancy hormones. Sheesh!). What a sweet gift for Adelaide to give to you on your first Mother's Day! And one day, in 2027 (or whenever Adelaide decides to inevitably go through her angsty teenage years), you'll be able to look up this blog post and show her all the things you did for her, to make her feel bad for taking the car (or the rocketship, or whatever kids in 2027 are driving) without your permission.

    ReplyDelete