Saturday, July 7, 2012

Baby Product review

I am surrounded by preggo ladies.  At work!  In our apartment complex!  On the bus!  In yoga class!  At the corner bar!  {Now I'm just exaggerating.}

Why, you might ask?  Well, I don't know how to put this modestly but, you know, I'm a major trend-setter. Everyone was like, "Wow, she's really rocking that baby bump with conviction, I want one too!" and, "She's bringing the sexy back to cankles" and, "Geez, Adelaide is SOO cute and exceptional, I want an Adelaide." Jessica Simpson even got on board.

Which, of course, leads to incessant conversations about baby products.  What stroller?!  What crib?!  What booby pump?!

Well, folks, I don't have all the answers and am only a quasi-expert, but here's my rather exhaustive list of what has worked for us.  There's also a section at the end of this post devoted to how we've screwed up and where I've had baby-product envy.

Sleeping
  • Co-sleeper bassinet - This bassinet is a compromise between co-sleeping {ala Dr. Sears} and a traditional bassinet set-up.  The bassinet allows you to lower one side and attach it to your bed with straps that go under the mattress.  The bassinet is then flush with the bed but still allows separate space for the babe.  This made middle-of-the-night feedings SO much easier.  I also loved being so close to Adelaide; I really felt like it helped us bond {so did Toven {the cat}}.
  • Woombie - Some call it the tube of rage {JP}, others call it a god-send {Bryan and Kate {speaking of themselves in 3rd person}}.  This is a substitute for a swaddler, which can be zipped-up rather than wrapped.  Adelaide loved the tightness and security.  The first night we put this on, she slept, like, a billion hours.  {Or maybe just four.  It felt like a billion.}

  • Pacifiers - We don't have strong opinions on a brand but we do have strong opinions on the number - approximately 237.  You cannot have enough pacifiers.  They vanish faster than Ben & Jerry's in our freezer.  Also, we have tried a few pacifier clips and our favorite is the Munchkin brand.

Eating
    Freezer storage - Fresh N Freeze 2 oz. Reusable Baby Food Containers 12-Pack.  Perfect size and fits in the freezer really well.
    Dr. Brown's Bottles - We almost blew Adelaide's college tuition on buying various bottles {Avent, Breastflow, Madela, etc.}.  In the end, Dr. Brown's is the only bottle she will tolerate.  Buy these.
Gettin' Around
  • Moby Wrap - The "Happiest Baby on the Block" advocates keeping your babe close and snuggly during the first three months of life to simulate the womb as much as possible.  The Moby wrap, pictured below, kept Adelaide next to my beating heart and gave me two free hands to do luxurious things like brushing my teeth.  I cherish those moments when we snuggled in the Moby.  {And my dentist commends my dental hygiene.} 
  • Ergo Carrier - My sister-in-law generously sent us this baby carrier and we LOVE IT!  We literally use it every day, taking Adelaide to and from day care.  It can be used either on the front or back.  The lumbar strap and sturdy shoulder pads take stress off the back.  And the design of the carrier, as the name implies, helps the babes sit in it naturally, rather than being straddled by the crotch like a lot of baby carriers. {Yep, I said "crotch" on my baby blog.}  I can't recommend this highly enough!

  • City Mini stroller - This is one item that we splurged on since we walk everywhere and knew  that city life would beat up our stroller.  So far, it is the only stroller we've used and may be the only stroller we will need until she can walk on her own.  When she was tiny, we used a car seat adapter.  The best part about this stroller is how easy it folds.  There is a handle in the middle, and with one easy motion, the whole thing folds in half.  Two criticisms: (1) the carriage in the bottom is somewhat difficult to access and (2) the wheels are a bit wide {I'm always underestimating how wide it is and cutting corners too close or running into things}.  But the pros outweigh the cons.  
  • "Bundle Me" - It's hard to think of this product on a day like today, but the JJ Cole "Bundle Me" attaches to a car seat or stroller to keep the babe warm in the winter.  It is essentially a snuggly sleeping bag.  I kinda want one.
Nursing
  • Medela Pump-n-Style - Gets the job done.  'Nuff said.
  • Lilypadz Nursing Pads - Also gets the job done.  'Nuff said.   
  • Babe Au Lait Nursing Cover - This is one of the products I use the most.  It is a cute piece of fabric with an adjustable loop that goes around the neck {like an apron}, which keeps the nursing cover nice and secure.  And unlike draping a blanket over your nursing babe, it has a curved piece of metal sewn into the top so that it puffs out a bit and you can see your babe.     
  • Boppy - This crescent-shaped pillow is essential for nursing.  Also great for tummy time.  {Addy also occasionally took naps on it -- shh, they're not supposed to.}
Baby-Lounging
  • Rock 'n Play - A hammock for a baby.  Pretty awesome.  We kept this in the living room for naps and/or hanging out.

  • Bumbo chair - Great for 3-6 months, this little chair helps babes to sit up and build back muscles.  We bought the Mamas and Papas version of this chair, which converts to a toddler chair and comes with a feeding tray.  Great for feeding in lieu of a high chair.
  • Bouncy seat - So I was all like, "I live in a 1100 sq. foot apartment {rounding up}, I don't need no stinkin' bouncy seat."  I was wrong.  {Yes, Bryan, I admitted I was wrong.  Get over it.}  We used one at my in-laws when we went home for Christmas when Adelaide was 8 weeks old.  We put Adelaide in it and a calm serenity spread over her face.  All her newborn angst suddenly vanished.  Later she sat me down and said we needed to talk:  "Seriously, Mom, where has this sweet seat of vibration been all my life?"  And I was like, "I know, I know.  I was just trying not to be a baby hoarder."  And she was all like, "well you don't need to be a baby crap hoarder, just buy me a stinkin' bouncy seat that vibrates."  And so I did.  {On craigslist.}

Toys and Activity
  • Sophie la Giraffe - I'm not sure what it is about this sweet little French teething toy, but Adelaide loves the b-jeezus out of it.  {I have a theory that it is laced with baby crack.}  BUY THIS.
  • LaMaze toys - These toys are full of bright colors and different textures.  Adelaide lights up every time she sees the toy below.
  • Fisher Price Jumperoo - Now that Adelaide is crawling {and generally getting into everything}, the Jumperoo is essential for wranglin' the babe.  I'm not sure how we'd get ready for work in the morning without it. 
Just for Mom
  • Timi and Leslie diaper bag - Doesn't look like a diaper bag, so I can also use it for work.  Super functional and HUGE {which is very necessary}.  Love, love, love!
  •  Kindle/Nook/iPad/e-reader - I got a lot of reading done while nursing Adelaide the first three months.  It would have been impossible with a traditional book since I only had one free hand.  My Kindle was indispensable to my sanity during those first few months.
 What we should have done differently
  • Car seat - We registered for {and graciously received from Bryan's dude friends} the Graco Snugride 35.  The "35" means that it goes up to 35 pounds, unlike most infant seats that only accommodate 25 or 30 pounds.  We thought we were getting the most bang for our buck but, in reality, it is heavy and cumbersome.  Plus, she will likely be too long for this carseat before she hits 35 pounds.  Go with a 25 or 30 pound car seat.  Your biceps will thank you.
  • High chair - When we registered, I didn't put much thought into the high chair and registered for a sturdy-looking Graco high chair that matched our decor.  This high chair is highly effective, however, it's BIG.   I wish I would have gotten something smaller, like the Ikea Antilop {low-end}, the Mamas & Papas Go Eat {mid-priced}, or the Stokke Trip Trapp {high-end}.  Better yet, I should have just registered for a seat that can be attached to a chair, or even BETTER yet, I should just sit her on the floor - that's where all her food ends up anyway!
  • Aiden & Anais blankets - Everyone at baby yoga had these blankets and I had major baby-product envy.  They are soft and gauzy, which makes them easy to swaddle, warm and comfy, and still perfect for wiping up spit-up, spilled milk, slobber, etc.  And they come in the coolest prints.  They have a hefty price-tag, so this is a good baby shower gift.
Phew.  That's a lot of baby stuff.  I'd love to hear from other mamas out there.  What worked for you?  What didn't?  What are the MVPs of your baby gear?

6 comments:

  1. Loving all your reviews. You've helped me narrow down some essentials :) Thanks, Kate, hope you are wonderful!! -Jess Ladin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and already a question for ya about Dr. Brown's bottles - is 4 oz or 8 oz better at 6 mos? I'm trying to think ahead to when I'll be at work and leaving bottles with daycare.

      Delete
    2. JESS!! I didn't know you were pregnant! So excited for you and Zach! Parenthood is awesome. As for the bottles, if you want to keep it minimal (which I tried and failed to do), I'd go with the 8 oz. bottles. Most babies drink 4-7 oz. by 6 mos. The only downside is that the 8 oz. bottles are BIG. You might want to have a couple smaller bottles for the beginning, before you go back to work. (And I strongly recommend getting the babe used to a bottle before going back to work, even if you exclusively breast-feed like I did.)

      Delete
  2. Kate, I love this so much, and am now adjusting my registry accordingly. ALSO, I love that Adelaide had a sit down talk with you about the bouncy seat. That girl knows what she wants, and she's not afraid to ask for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had the Rock n Play existed when Sammy was born, I would have bought 4. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shasta! I didn't know you guys had a baby blog. I had fun looking through your pictures and reading stories about your family. My absolute favorite is Bedtime Stories Noveau. Awesome. Hope you guys are well!

      Delete